Stay healthy, get your flu shot during COVID-19 pandemic
The flu vaccine can keep you from getting sick with flu during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Washington State Department of Health said that we can all do our part to prevent illness and hospitalizations caused by flu and that his will help save healthcare resources for COVID-19 response in our communities.
TYPES OF FLU SHOTS
• Quadrivalent flu shots protect against four different flu viruses.
• For people 65 and older, the High Dose flu shots contains four times as much flu virus antigen, the part of the vaccine that stimulates the immune system, to protect better against the flu.
• For those allergic to eggs, Cell-Based flu shots are grown in cultured animal cells instead of hens’ eggs.
• For vegans, Recombinant flu shots are produced using a method that does not require an egg-grown virus.
• Instead of getting a shot, there is also a nasal spray called Live Attenuated Influenza Vaccine (LAIV).
WHERE TO GET FLU SHOTS
In Washington, all children under age 19 get flu shots at no cost. The provider may charge an administration fee to give the shot. You can ask them to waive this fee if you cannot afford it.
Most insurance plans, including Medicare part B, cover the cost of flu shot for adults.
Adults aged 19 and older who do not have health insurance, or are underinsured, can receive flu shots at no cost this season at 23 participating Safeway and Albertsons pharmacies:
These 23 Albertsons and Safeway pharmacies across the state will offer flu shots free of charge now through June 2021, or while supplies last, to any adult who does not have health insurance. No driver’s license, proof of residency or immigration status will be required upon visit. All flu shot recipients will be pre-screened for COVID-19 symptoms and be expected to fill out standard consent forms.
International Community Health Services also offers flu shots for people aged 19-64 at their International District, Holly Park, and Shoreline clinics during regular business hours. Walk-ins accepted. Appointments are encouraged. Make an appointment by calling the pharmacy:
Holly Park: 206-788-3563
International District: 206-788-3708